Castle Hill Secondary
Building Your Monster
Step 1. Draw your monster (you don’t have to but you should!)
Step 2. Define your monsters personality, favourite thing and way to hide
Step 3. Name and assign hit locations
Step 4. Give locations qualities & extras
Personality, Favourites and the Like
Every monster needs its appearance (if you haven’t drawn it), personality, favourite thing and way to hide well defined.
Name your different locations, a monster must have at least four different locations, each location gains one quality for free
Assign hit locations 1 through 10, with each location giving 5 dice to the location, these form your dice pool for the location and allow you to buy additional qualities and extras at one die each. Remember you can only ever roll 10 dice at a time, so if a location has more than that it’s worth spending them on extras
- Attack: This location can be used to inflict damage
- Defend: This location can be used to defend
- Useful: This location has a useful quality such as Useful[Tangle] or Useful[Opens Portals to Mars], please run all usefuls by the GM
At character creation all monster extras are capped at 3. However, through XP buys/chomping other monsters this cap is removed.
- Awesome: At x1 awesome allows you to set a die to a number of your choice before rolling the rest of the dice pool, at x2 you roll the whole pool then may change one of the dice rolled to a number of your choice. If you continue to buy it they stands as another ×1 or x2 so for example at Awesome 4, you would roll the whole pool of dice then change two of the dice to results of your choice
- Bounce: When rolling a defense roll in addition to defending from the attack you can also hit back at your opponent. Each additional level allows you to bounce another attack or bounce an attack back with the opponents extras. e.g. defending a 2×5 attack with gnarly 3 with a 3×6 defend with one level of bounce allows you just to hit back but the attack, but if you defended with a 3×6 with four levels of bounce not only can you hit back but you could use all of the attackers gnarly as well.
- Burn: The attack inflicts something extra, be it setting stuff literally on fire, leaving acid which continues to eat at the foe or something else. Each round until the foe spends time to shrug it off (difficulty 6 guts+courage) they take an additional damage. This doesn’t stack. E.g. if Betty’s hair is already on fire you can’t set it more on fire in subsequent rounds.
- Gnarly: This attack is particularly dangerous per level of gnarly +1 damage is inflicted
- Immunity: your monster is immune to something quite specific, e.g. fire, falling, acid, shadow etc.
- Sharing: This ability allows a kid to use a monsters hit location as if it were his own, even when the monster is hidden. It is usually however is quite obvious, anyone paying close attention or who succeeds a brains+notice roll will be aware of what happened.
- Spray: After declaration and rolling, for each level of spray you have you may use an additional set for another action, this may be from another location as long as that location also has spray
- Sweet: Each rank of sweet increases success for useful rolls, think gnarly for useful stuff, e.g. To tangle an enemy you use a useful tangle with sweet two, rolling a 3×4, if the opponent doesn’t manage to block/defend he would be tangled for four rounds (width – 1 + sweet)
- Tough: This part of the monster is particularly tough and therefore take -1 damage off any damage received everyone.
- Wicked Fast: Your monsters is just faster than normal when using this location, when working out the order of actions this location gains +1 to its width